Keeping an organization secure is not only one of the most important tasks, but also a very difficult one.
And to ensure this, the cryptographic keys and digital identities need to be kept securely to protect critical digital infrastructure and high value data assets.
A Hardware Security Modules a physical computing device that safeguards and manages digital keys, performs encryption and decryption functions for digital signatures, strong authentication and other cryptographic functions.
WHY SHOULD AN ORGANIZATION USE HSM?
- Observing security guidelines and standards
- High degrees of authentication and trust
- Supplying the market’s highest level of protection for private keys and sensitive data
- Quick and effective automated cryptographic key lifecycle chores
- Storage of crypto keys in a single location rather than multiple different places
WHAT MAKES HSM SO TRUSTWORTHY IN TODAY’S AGE?
- Tamper resistant:HSMs undergo a hardening process to make them resistant to illicit tampering and unintentional damage.
- Secure operating system:They have a security-focused operating system.
- To prevent unwanted access, they are situated in a secure physical section of the data center. Some businesses decide against keeping their HSMs on-site and instead store them in a third-party data center.
- Access controls:HSMs regulate access to the hardware and data they safeguard. They are made to exhibit indicators of tampering; in some cases, if tampering is discovered, HSMs become dysfunctional or remove cryptographic keys.
- APIs:The Public-Key Cryptography Standard and Cryptography API Next Generation are just two of the application programming interfaces (APIs) that are supported by HSMs and allow for the integration of many applications and the creation of unique applications.
THE 6 WAYS IN WHICH A HSM WORKS:
- Provisioning: Keys are created by an HSM, another type of key management system or a third-party organization that does this. A true random number generator should be used to create keys.
- Backup and storage: If a key is compromised or lost, a duplicate should be made and safely preserved. They could be kept on external media or in the HSM. Prior to being stored, private keys must be encrypted.
- Deployment: This entails placing the key inside an HSM or other type of cryptographic device.
- Management: A company’s internal regulations and industry standards are used to control and monitor keys. The key rotation process is handled by the encryption key management system, where new keys are released as old keys become inactive.
- Archiving: Decommissioned keys are kept in offline, long-term storage for potential future use in decrypting material that has already been encrypted.
- Disposal: Only when it has been confirmed that they are no longer required can keys be securely destroyed.
HELPING USERS OVERCOME OBSTACLES
- If the key is compromised, the entire cryptographic system is compromised.
A HSM hence eliminates this problem by managing the cryptographic keys
- TRNGs (True Random Number Generators) are included into HSMs to produce real-time random numbers from thermal, avalanche, and atmospheric disturbances. These arbitrary numbers are used as seeds to create cryptographic keys in a secure manner.
- HSMs are equipped with powerful, specialised crypto processors that can do thousands of crypto operations at once. By shifting cryptographic tasks from application servers, HSMs can be used more efficiently.
TYPES OF HSM
- General Purpose: General Purpose HSMs can utilize the most common encryption algorithms and more, and are primarily used with Public Key Infrastructures, crypto wallets, and other basic sensitive data.
- Payment and Transaction: TThese HSMs were developed with the protection of sensitive transaction data, including credit card information, in mind. Although the types of companies in which these hardware security modules can be used are more limited, they are excellent for assisting with Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards compliance.
Major HSM vulnerabilities
Why HSM is vital to the Blockchain Technologies
frequently asked questions
- Usually, it takes around 2 hours to install an HSM. But, it may vary according to your IT infrastructure. If your organization has a huge IT infrastructure, HSM installation may take a little bit more time.
- The price of a hardware security module may vary according to its type. The most economical HSM is known as PCI hardware security module.
- The performance of an HSM can be monitored via its transaction per second (TPS). TPS is a parameter to evaluate the transactions performed by an HSM per second.
- Yes. A hardware security module can be used for Aadhaar based authentication and GST signing at higher transaction speed.
- Kryptoagile is one of the best HSM solutions provider in Delhi, Mumbai and Chennai. All year round HSM technical support and being powered with an impressive arsenal of HSMs make Kryptoagile stand among the best HSM vendors in India.
- Once the HSM is installed by Kryptoagile, you can opt for paid HSM technical support according to your business requirements.
- Yes, You can use an HSM for credit card and debit card key generation.
- Yes, a hardware security module supports API based signing.
- A hardware security module can be extremely helpful for your e-commerce business, as it helps you generate multiple e-invoices within minutes. Moreover, it lets you perform GST signing, PDF signing and various kinds of document signing as well.